Updated shooting script including voice over and sound effects
Contingency problems and solutions for possible sound issues covered in my recce
Production activities undertaken
This week I began the recording of the project. I took each shot for the project from multiple different angles with different levels of focus, some with fading in and out so that I have a greater amount of choice when it comes to the editing process. By having multiple different shots from different angles I can use it to create a 2-3 shot sequence and with different levels of zoom to create establishing shots.
I also took some shots for a 3 shot sequence relating to the aggression test case study I am going to be including. This included an establishing shot of someone at the computer and then a choice between combination of an over the shoulder shot, a extreme close up of the persons eyes, a shot of the computer screen with the test being filled out and a final shot of the keyboard and mouse being used. I used different focus for the over the shoulder to focus on the computer screen with the outline of the person filling it out blurred, this would lead in nicely to a close up of the screen, for example.
I also, during my skill practice, gained experience with doing piece to camera and took note of how to best present myself which I will apply during my recording process.
I did an interview with a college student who often plays games with violence and asked him some questions on his views on the subject. I also arranged an interview with one of the college’s games design tutors which will be done on Friday, to get a level of professional opinion, I intend to use the same questions as before with the previous interview so I can compare and contrast them in my final piece. I also finalised my voice over script which can be found above with my shot list.
Finally I had someone take an aggression test for my case study, I have linked them the test to be completed again immediately after having played games that have a lot of violence.
The majority of the problems I faced this week were mainly related to working on my own. This was a challenge due to having to find other people to be able to record and often setting up a shot and then having to be in the shot. I resolved this by asking for help from other members of my class to help by being in shot for me so I could set up the camera to get the shot how I wanted it to look exactly.
There were also issues with spacing and sound. The sound was an issue due to the fact that the classroom was very loud and picked up a lot of background noise. I managed to solve this issue by asking to have a different room unlocked for me in a quiet environment which was very good for capturing audio. I intend to use this room again or another empty classroom for my interview that I will be conducting on Friday.
In terms of interviews I intend to be doing video interviews with both people who play games and those who don’t and compare their opinions. I have booked out a camera for the weekend in order to have enough time to record people as well as a microphone to help with sound quality. Due to this I will be able to record in several different locations unavailable to me during college hours.
Other problems faced is acquiring media footage and games footage. However I have already looked into ways to download footage of a good quality for the project. In terms of games footage I own the source material and have the software at home and will be able to record the necessary footage myself and give me access to a high quality of footage due to the hardware and software available to me at home. I also intend to use my recording equipment at home to record the voice over this weekend.