Summary of progress
This week I made a lot of progress towards my project. After acquiring the high resolution images of the card designs I was able to make much high quality looking cards.
I applied these images to the cards and then edited the background on a few cards to make the images stand out more. This can be seen primarily on the kobalt card (top row second along) where I changed the background hue and the goblin card (top row third along) where I lightened the background image.
I also created an example of a different colour variant in order to appeal to both genders as per lecturer feedback as seen by the pink ogre card (second row third along) this was done using layer masks on Adobe Photoshop using the Hue/saturation effect. I also created an ogre variant with a different background (third row first and second along) as the more colourful background image brings the ogre out more on the card the original draft of the card is next to it for comparison.
I also altered the Mimic card (top row first along) by upping the saturation and brightening the image to make it appear more visible against the background. This setting also suits the idea of a Mimic due to it imitating a treasure chest and being in a brighter cave creates that idea of a treasure trove more so than a dark cave background.
The spell cards remained the same except for the addition of the addition of the high resolution images.
I also created the creation and discussion cards. I felt these cards would work better to include a question and discussion on each card rather than create separate decks of cards for each. This cuts down on the amount of card piles in play and makes for a simpler layout for the children to minimise confusion. This also allows for players to pick and choose when they want to do a question or have a discussion. I felt the design should be similar in style to the spell cards to create uniformity. I also feel the contrast of the parchment on the space style background works very well will the contrast of dull and bright colours which make the questions stand out more. I also colour coded the question and discussion titles to make them stand out more and add more colour. This worked well due to the use of blue and purple as they are both colours present in the background and therefore stand out on the parchment without clashing with the background colour scheme.
The instruction manual was something that was originally made to explain the rules to parents, however upon feedback and personal reflection I felt a child oriented info-graphic style layout would work better. The originally instruction manual can equally be used and kept by labelled (rules for the grown ups or something similar). I took a lot of advice from my lecturer on the styling of this and took into account layout taught sessions regarding white space, placement and sizing. All of this will be looked at in depth in my evaluation which I plan to begin next week. The colour scheme is basic primarily colours to appeal to the children and uses the game’s artwork without the cards as to draw the child’s attention and give them a sense of the artwork for the game. I am very pleased with how it turned out, it was heavily inspired by an info graphic which I then adapted personally to re purpose and then altered the layout slightly to help streamline the reading of the instructions.