Below is a timeline of my concept development and how the art and design of my project have changed over the course of the project, as well as other mediums and styles explored during this time.
To begin with this was the art direction the illustrator went with based on my prompt of fantasy creatures. While I initially liked the design and style he was going for, after discussion I decided it could scare some younger children based on the realistic design. Which was later confirmed when I went through concept art with the child I interviewed.
After this input and the suggestion to go for a more cartoon based art style the illustrator produced this in regards to the first design. We both felt this was much better suited to children and the style of the game we were going for and would work well with the intended target audience.
Following on from this I used the contrast and brightness effect to alter to remove the lines from the page the image was drawn on. I then used photoshop to colour and style the image using colour and pattern fill effects. This allowed me to show a basic idea of the colouring I thought would be appropriate for the illustrator to then take forward when creating the next set of concept art.
This led to the illustrator taking the colour scheme coupled with the cartoon based style and apply it to a pixel at style artwork.
He began by creating the basic goblin (top left) and kobalt (middle right). Upon discussion and feedback from myself to include variety he made the other images seen above with different head designs and armour sets. We also felt the kobalt was missing something so a tail was later added along with the horns.
I then took this concept art along with the photoshop edited version of the art and the original more realistic drawings to the child I interviewed. He found the original artwork too scary and thought it would scare younger children, he also liked the pixelated style of these most recent designs due to the fact they looked more like drawings from a video game. It was also reminded him of Minecraft a game with a huge fan base of children in the target audience.
I also took the original artwork and used illustrator to practice my skills and see if I could create another concept art to alter the original concept art. While I managed to make something professional looking I decided the style was too realistic and strayed too far from the video game style the child liked so much. However this was an effective exercise in terms of practicing skills it will not be something I will be taking forward in terms of design and I feel is too similar to other card games that already exist.
I therefore decided to take the pixel art style forward as the main art style for the piece.
I gave some instruction based around keeping this style and creating more creatures. There was a lot of discussion relating to designs and how it could be changed (which is evidenced in my ‘discussions with illustrator’ sections in previous blog posts).
After this I asked the illustrator to begin working on spells and he came up with the idea of using a hand for each one. We decided on making the hand grey so it would be more inclusive.
Below is currently all the finalised artwork for the project relating to spells and creatures. Creatures are on the left and spells on the right. Above the spells are the icons for character classes.
I have only recently begun doing card based designs therefore I am still experimenting with different colour schemes and layouts.
This was the first outline idea I went for with a card outline. I tried to emulate the large amount of negative space shown with Munchkin. The current image resolution is low but this will not be the case with the final product. I also had a section for flavour text at the bottle which I have since decided against.
With this design I removed the flavour text. I have yet to work out where I will be putting the question icon but will fit in once I have finalised the rest of the design. With the colour scheme I have experimented with a parchment pattern in the background and have then made the border thicker and used earthy tones. However I have been told it would be better for children if the card was slightly brighter.
In order to better find a colour scheme to suit my cards I looked into the section of illustrator that has different colour sections. Under the swatches section I found the colour selections called ‘Kids stuff’ and will be creating designs based around these colours.
With this design I simplified the effects and stuck to solid colour. I brightened up the border to create more contrast.
I then brightened up the colour scheme with the effects. I do like this brighter look however I will likely use different colours.
I then experimented with the placement of the main image. I feel like this works well as it makes the image more exciting and isn’t as centralised. This may interest children more than the previous designs.
In coming weeks I will experiment with the colour scheme more and the layout and create more outlines.
Discussion with illustrator